Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Notes from Nicole


New Year’s Resolutions. I feel like they’re the same every year: spend more time with my kids, lose weight, become more organized. This year they’re very similar, but with a different twist.

Many of you know that I have a prosthetic leg. Many of you also know that I’ve been struggling for years to lose weight. For the past couple of years I’ve been fantasizing about running a marathon. This last summer I started working out on a regular basis and really watching what I’m eating. So far I am down 44 pounds, but still have quite a ways to go. I started running (more like a glacially paced slow jog) and am able to go a couple of miles (still have a long way to go!), but it’s quite an improvement from even just a few months ago. This year I will be running the ½ marathon in the Madison Marathon on Memorial Day weekend. Towards the end of 2010 my goal is to be in good enough shape to run a full marathon. Along with my training and diet/exercise regimen, I have started to journal my progress. I plan to write a book called “The One Legged Fat Girl Runs a Marathon”, have already started a blog (not publically published yet), and started a YouTube series to chronicle the journey.

This time next year I hope to be writing to you in review of the journey from couch to marathon, and telling lots of exciting tales in between. Hmmm, maybe next year’s resolution will include an Ironman?

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Stay positive, you'll do it! I know you will :)
    You have that raw determination that few people really harness and you've already proven so much to yourself. ;)
    - Love from Minnesota

    ReplyDelete